Sunday, November 9, 2008

ISRO's Bhuvan

2:14 AM by admin · 0 comments


I just spotted this article at Pluggd.in 

Wow. I was absolutely delighted as I read it. If this were to happen I can't imagine the coverage it would get in the country and the world.

Just imagine how many millions of kids would find that story inspiring. The point is that the scientists are not only doing wonders, but they are inspiring millions of us.

Before I go any further I should mention this story I read on the internet atleast a couple of years ago.
 
Dr. R A Mashelkar, former director of CSIR, was once on an official visit to South Africa, during the course of which he was scheduled to stop by at a museum/exhibition. While going around browsing through the pictures/portraits he found a few satellite pictures of S.Africa very exciting. Apparently that was the first time he was looking at the pictures of a country taken by a space satellite with such amazing clarity. When he asked the officials of that country accompanying him about the source of the images  he was shocked to hear the answer. Probably they were shocked too to see him react that way. He was actually told that the pictures were taken by an Indian satellite.

This incident narrated by the man in question himself, later on as he returned to India, really opened my eyes to understand the capabilities of ISRO and made me feel proud, a feeling that further strengthened after reading reports of NASA chief's shocked reaction and appreciation (on his visit to ISRO's headquarters, if I am not wrong) of the work being done by the Indian scientists on what he called a pittance of a budget.

These guys, I mean the Scientists, are the heroes of modern day India. I have no doubt in my mind when I say ISRO deserves to be called a 'Bharat Ratna'.

comments

0 Responses to "ISRO's Bhuvan"

Other headlines from Indiatrends.info

IndiaTrends.info