Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chennai law college fight

12:32 AM by admin · 0 comments


A few years ago I had seen a video on my friend's mobile which shows a taliban militant executing a white man slitting his throat and thought about what could have gone into the minds of those killers to hate humanity so much that they could cold bloodedly butcher a fellow human being like that. It was barbaric. I only watched the video once. But as I think about it, it still runs infront of my eyes. It was truly barbaric. The most horryfying act I ever got to watch in any form.

After a long time I had a similar feel watching this video. I read about this story over the past week but never really watched the video. Students at Chennai's Ambedkar Law College fighting over caste.




Caste related violence, of course, has always been around in India. It not new to us to make use of any oppurtunity available to hitout at people who we think are not right whether by actions or by birth, in each other's respective views.


But after watching this video I really felt sick in the stomach for two reasons:

1. Students fighting each other is one thing but brutally attacking an unarmed  man, who was felled and possibly cannot even move after he was almost torn apart, by running back to him and hitting him indiscriminately like this bunch of barabarians did makes me think if our society is as savage as this video shows us.

2. The police stood by, as we can see in the video, as a mere witness to the incident which they should have never let happen in the first place. I mean that was not even a fight between two factions. It was about a dozen people hitting one fallen guy, who could not even possibly cry for help, with sticks and iron rods. 

  The Chennai police commissioner later says, those policemen have been 'transferred'. What the F**k. A mere transfer for failing to save a guy's life although it was very much within their reach and means !!! I mean they could have got a transfer saying they are allergic to Chennai's water. 

You know what Commissioner, if I were in your position, I would have made those officers liable, booked them for dereliction of duty, and lastly resigned from my post for being the head of a highly incomepetent team. 

If the first video I talked about was about brutality that made me feel sick, this one put me to shame. I can't believe I co-exist with such people in such a society as much as I can't disown their deeds, whether its the perpetrators of the violence or the muted spectators called Police. Its a shame on us all. 

comments

0 Responses to "Chennai law college fight"

Other headlines from Indiatrends.info

IndiaTrends.info